Carbonear has a number of attractions for residents and visitors, including the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre, George W. Earle Promenade, Harbour Rock Hill, Carbonear Wharf, Paddy's Garden, the Recreeation Complex, walking trails, and children's play areas .
The Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre is a 379 seat, air conditioned and wheelchair accessible facility, set in the heart of the Baccalieu Trail Region. The theatre, which is located in the Conception Bay Regional Community Centre at 256 Water Street in Carbonear, has perhaps one of the most beautiful outdoor settings in the province.
Directly facing the Carbonear harbour, it is adjacent to the extensive George W. Earle Promenade which encircles the Ponds. Since opening in 1998, the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre has become the principal centre for the performing arts in Carbonear and many of the surrounding towns. The well-designed and attractive theatre is a source of pride for the entire Baccalieu Trail region.
Stage of the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre
George W. Earle Promenade
A beautiful promenade set in the center of the Town of Carbonear and surrounding two ponds this 974 metre board walk is a very popular setting enjoyed regularly by locals and visitors alike.
Named for former Mayor George W. Earle, (1969-73) a life-long advocate of the Town of Carbonear, the George W. Earle Promenade is a delightful way to enjoy some healthy exercise while watching the antics of ducks on the ponds.
Nell Finn's Walking Trail
The Nell Finn's Walking Trail starts from Pondside Road and runs currently to Columbus Drive. The route is 2.1 KM and runs alongside Rossiter's Pond. (Construction is continuing on this trail.)
Harbour Rock Hill
Harbour Rock Hill offers a spectacular view of Carbonear Harbour, including Carbonear Island. In 1812, Mr H.C.Watts requested guns to protect the town from American privateers which can be seen today . It is an historic area that has witnessed many events through the years and these stories today are told by a series of storyboards.
Wayside Sign about Carbonear Island
The government wharf is actively used by fishers, boaters, and tour boat operators. It provides a panoramic view of Carbonear Harbour.
Codfish Splitting Table
Paddy's Garden which is adjaceent to the Community Recreation Complex, offers many events through the whole year.
Concerts are sponsored by the Carbonear Special Events Committee.
63 Valley Road Carbonaer NL
(709)596-7535 Info (709)596-2381 Daily Schedule
Enjoy our year round 6 lane, 25 meter swimming pool, 2 softball fields, 4 tennis courts, soccer field, 400 meter rubberized track and skate park
Carbonear Island is a National "Event" site. It is situated in the mouth of Carbonear Bay at the entrance to Carbonear Harbour in Conception Bay on Newfoundland's east coast. It has been referred to as the Gibraltar of the North, more specifically as the Gibraltar of Newfoundland.
Carbonear Island was a natural defense for settlers as early as 1614 in the days when the pirate Peter Easton and other pirates regularly and randomly attacked settlements along the coastline. During King William's War (1689-1697) in the bitter winter of 1697, French forces led by D'Iberville invaded eastern Newfoundland leaving devastation in their wake; Carbonear Island was the only location in Newfoundland to successfully defend against the invaders.
Again during Queen Anne's War (1702-1713) French troops with their French Canadian courier de bois and Abnaki Indian allies again attacked and the settlers took refuge on the small island and once more repelled the attackers. Despite many attempts to gain access to the rocky cliffs of Carbonear Island during these difficult times, the defenders of Carbonear Island stood strong against attack and the small Island remained in English hands. This amazing feat was due mainly to the courageous determination of the settlers because during those battles, no military help was available and the weapons used were a few small cannon mounted on the cliffs and the musketry used for subsistence hunting.
Carbonear Island has been quiet since the mid fifties when the fishing families gradually withdrew and the gulls are the main inhabitants of the little island except in the summer when occasional visiting tourists and locals take a trip out for a picnic or to walk the historic ground of their ancestors and reflect on past glories.
In 2010, under the direction of the Town of Carbonear, archaeologist Roy Skanes conducted an archaeology Survey of Carbonear Island and with his team of fieldworkers dug more than 1200 artifacts from 100 test pits. Because these artifacts were of such interest, many dating to the 17th century, further archaeological exploration was conducted again during the summer of 2011, yielding more that 4300 artifacts, some dating to times of great interest and because of these findings plans are underway for further exploration.
The Carbonear Island Exhibit opened on July 26, 2011. It is housed in the old Railway Museum and is an exquisite journey into the past 300 years of life on Carbonear Island.
Boat tours are available during the late spring, summer and early fall to Carbonear Island. Although access to the Island is somewhat challenging, it is worth the time and effort to walk the steps of the brave defenders of this island that was the last hope for settlers in the days of conflict.
Follow us on Town of Carbonear PO Box 999 256 Water Street Carbonear NL A1Y 1C5
Tel: 709.596.3831 Email: email@example.com Open: Monday to Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm